I can’t begin to tell you how many excuses I’ve heard from friends (and colleagues) about why they haven’t gotten around to doing a Will, or worse, why they don’t need one. (Fortunately, most of my family’s smart enough to already have a Will in place – they’re all a bunch of financial planners, after all).
The excuses I’ve heard over the years include:
- I haven’t gotten around to doing it, that’s all
- I don’t have any significant assets, I don’t need one yet
- Everything goes to my partner anyway by default, so I don’t need one
- It’s bad luck to write a Will
My responses to them?
- Things can happen at unexpected times – don’t put off what can be done today!
- Everyone needs a Will. Just because you don’t have much doesn’t mean you don’t need one.
- A Will is more than just about making sure that everything passes to the right person – it’s about making the process easier and giving the ones you leave behind peace of mind.
- But you should still make one anyway, here, let’s do this now so we can get it out of the way.
In conclusion: No excuse is good enough. If you don’t have a Will, or you need to review your Will, give us a call, and we’ll sort you out.